Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's in a Blog?


So, I’ve always wondered when, where, and why blogs came into existence. Like, who created them? And why are they called blogs anyway? It’s a really weird word if you think about it. Bluh-Ahg. Blog. Seriously, where did the word come from? It can’t be Latin. Heh, I can just picture those ancient Romans now. Vini Vidi Blogi. Translation: I came, I saw, I blogged. It’s certainly not Chinese considering they can’t really pronounce their “L’s”. “Herro. My name Xiao Cheng. I brog today.”
It simply must be American. Only for the fact that it’s such a stupid sounding word.  There’s really no other explanation I can come up with.
Sadly, my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to look up where the word blog came from. Sadly, it’s just the coined term for “web log.” Nothing spectacular. I was hoping for some sort of heroic battle over what to name random online diaries for people. There definitely should’ve been some blood involved. Yes. That would have made its creation all the more amazing. But no, some computer geek named Peter Merholz jokingly combined web log into blog. Maybe while he was laughing he got a paper cut? That might make more sense.
Just imagine a group of nerdy computer pros are having a good time, debating on a catchier word title for web logs, when Mr. Merholz pops into the conversation just as he’s shuffling through his papers. “Well, according to a scientific study I conducted, the average internet consumer would consider a popular word for these web logs to be b..*slice* LOGS! Although he was truly trying to say “Boho Logs” which in and of itself is short for bohemian web logs, it came out as blogs, which all the other nerdy computer pros came to love. All the while ignoring Merholz’ paper cut that would now need a band aid or two. Yes. That’s how the story should have gone.

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty lame. And that is how is should have came to be. Much cooler.

    ReplyDelete